The 16th Precinct is the location of the Manhattan Special Victims Unit on Law & Order: Special Victims Unit. The precinct is part of the New York City Police Department. The acting commanding officer of the precinct is Sergeant Olivia Benson. It was formerly headed by Captain Donald Cragen since the mid to late 90s.
- Captain Donald Cragen, commanding officer. Transferred from Anti-Corruption Task Force. Retired in 2014.
- Sergeant John Munch, Squad Supervisor and longtime partner to Det. Tutuola. Formerly partnered with Dets. Cassidy and Jeffries. Transferred from the Baltimore Police Department. Retired in 2013.
- Detective Elliot Stabler, longtime partner to Det. Benson. Briefly suspended for anger-management issues. Retired in 2012.
- Sergeant Olivia Benson, longtime partner to Det. Stabler. Briefly transferred to Computer Crimes Division. New Squad supervisor replacing Sergeant Munch
- Detective Monique Jeffries, former partner to Det. Briscoe and then Det. Munch. Transferred to the Vice Squad after inappropriate behavior with a former suspect.
- Detective Ken Briscoe, former partner to Det. Jeffries and nephew of the legendary Detective Lennie Briscoe. Later transferred.
- Detective Brian Cassidy, former partner to Det. Munch. Later transferred to Narcotics Division.
- Detective Odafin Tutuola, longtime partner to Det. Sgt. Munch. Partnered with Det. Lake for one year. transferred from Narcotics to replace Det. Jeffries. Currently seeking transfer back to Narcotics.
- Detective Chester Lake, former partner to Det. Tutuola. Transferred from Brooklyn SVU, currently imprisoned for murder.
- Detective Dani Beck, temporarily partnered to Det. Stabler. Transferred back to the Warrants Squad.
- Detective Amanda Rollins, newly assigned, having just moved from Atlanta.
- Detective Ruby Mazzanti, former partner to Det. Latimer, transferred to Robbery Division at the 31st Precinct.
- Detective Dan Latimer, former partner to Det. Mazzanti, retired to run the 10-13 bar.
- Detective Palmieri, usually assigned to backup investigations
- Officer Lucy Kozlowski, sometimes employed as a decoy for catching pedophiles. ("Demons")
- Officer Taylor ("Raw")
- Rafael Barba of the Sex Crimes Bureau.
- Dr. George Huang, FBI liaison and in-house psychologist.
- Dr. Melinda Warner, Medical Examiner.
- Captain's Office
- "The Crib"
- Juvenile Interview Room
- Holding Cells "The Cage"
- Interrogation Rooms "The Box"
- Media Room
- The 16th Precinct is one of the few precincts specially outfitted to deal with children as victims, witnesses, or suspects.
- The 16th Precinct was built prior to 1970. (SVU: "Folly")
- The 16th Precinct, if it were real, would be located somewhere in Midtown Manhattan between the Midtown South (14th) and Midtown North (18th) Precincts
- Contrary to beliefs or speculations, the Special Victims Unit is not the only unit within the 16th Precinct as there are uniformed police officers shown walking around. Captain Cragen is not the commander of the precinct. He's only the commanding officer of SVU detectives.
- The 16th Precinct dates back to 1949, when it served as the setting for the radio program "Broadway is My Beat."