|"A Person of Interest"|
|←||CI, Episode 2.23||→|
|Production number: E3220|
First aired: 18 May 2003
| Teleplay By|
René Balcer & Warren Leight
Detective Goren comes under intense pressure when he battles his old nemesis Nicole Wallace.
- Vincent D'Onofrio as Detective Robert Goren
- Kathryn Erbe as Detective Alexandra Eames
- Jamey Sheridan as Captain James Deakins
- Courtney B. Vance as A.D.A. Ron Carver
- Olivia d'Abo as Elizabeth Hitchens / Nicole Wallace
- Richard Joseph Paul as Gavin Haynes
- Robert C. Kirk as Chief of Detectives Steve Yarrow
- James McCaffrey as Daniel Croydon
- Susan Porro as Connie Matson
- Laura Sametz as Fran Swinton
- Keith Jochim as Judge Burbank
- Lou Martini Jr. as Detective Akhrass
- Keong Sim as William Suan
- Michael Rogers as Mitch Nolan
- Ron Scott as Detective Strick
- Carl Palmer as Lieutenant Hendricks
- Mae Young as Ms. Edwards
- Conan McCarty as Richard
- Greg Wood as Gary
- Sean Meehan as Boden
- David Green as Stymington
- Lee R. Sellars as Nelson
- Patrick Quinn as Croydon's Attorney
- Adriana DeMeo as Marianna
- Nicole Pappas as First Reporter
- Cynthia Corsilles O'Keefe as Second Reporter
- Robert Goren: Croydon. She picked a man I already didn't trust … I already didn't respect. That's how she blindsided me. She, uh, she picked a man like my father. She, uh, she got me. She got me good.
- Alexandra Eames: Then let's get her back.
- Robert Goren: Would you be willing to submit to a blood test to prove you've not been exposed to anthrax or received an anthrax vaccine?
- Croyden's lawyer: My client is willing, but I've advised him not to.
- Robert Goren: If you're afraid he'll incriminate himself...
- Dr. Croyden: I have no fear of incriminating myself!
- Robert Goren: Is that a "yes"?
- "I believe there is a part of you, Nicole, that loves Gavin. In that bunker you call a heart."
- – Robert Goren
- Alexandra Eames: I would never say anything in front of the captain, but...
- Robert Goren: Everything pointed to Croydon.
- Alexandra Eames: You didn't listen, Bobby. You didn't listen to what his wife said.
- Ron Carver: Dr. Croydon will be a hit with the jury.
- Alexandra Eames: He's not ready to give it up yet. He had a lot of fight left in him.
- Robert Goren: We stay on him. We wear him down. He'll break. He'll make a mistake.
- Ron Carver: He's broken now.
- Robert Goren: Hello, Nicole.
- Nicole Wallace: If you insist on calling me that name, I'm afraid I'm going to have to ignore you.
- Alexandra Eames: Nicole Elizabeth Wallace Hitchens Haynes, whatever. All of you are under arrest for attempted bribery.
- Nicole Wallace: Oh, I was hoping you'd join us. This is Robert Goren, my friend I was telling you about. This is my husband, Gavin Haynes.
- Gavin Haynes: Oh nice to meet you. Elizabeth tells me you're one of New York's finest.
- Robert Goren: Not these days. So you're married?
- Nicole Wallace: I told you. Gavin has made an honest woman and American citizen out of me. We should give you our number and you should join us for dinner one night. Oh, better yet, you should jot down my license plate and you can find us that way.
- Gavin Haynes: She's a remarkable woman isn't she?
- "Hello Bobby. I would call you Detective Goren but given your press coverage lately you'd probably want a low profile. Keep your hands on deck. We don't want you playing with your pistol under the table."
- – Nicole Wallace
- Robert Goren: Nicole Wallace.
- Nicole Wallace: Hitchens. Same as it was and always will be.
- Robert Goren: Yeah, I thought we cleared all that up. Your identity, your pathology.
- Nicole Wallace: Oh, right, your little theory. But like many of your theories lately, it wouldn't butter your parsnips. What will they do with you, Bobby? Do you think they might find a nice tunnel for you to guard? Well you know there is a bright side. I mean you have more time to spend up at Carmel Ridge.
- Robert Goren: Oh you're just hitting all the marks... I was right about you, Nicole.
- Nicole Wallace: Elizabeth, and you were wrong about me. Just like you were wrong about Dr. Croydon. Read the papers, detective. Your insights have no currency anymore.
- Robert Goren: Is that what this is about?
- Nicole Wallace: Do you remember what you said about Moby Dick and the unrelenting pursuit of evil? I know why you were unrelenting about Dr. Croydon. I know what it was about him that stuck to your hide like a harpoon. He ran out on his poor sick wife? Cheers, Bobby. This was everything I'd hoped for.
- "Don't think for a second that this is the end of us, Bobby."
- – Nicole Wallace
Background information and notes
- The episode title, "A Person of Interest", is a word play which has two meanings within the episode. One suspect, named by the police as a "person of interest", is a government scientist who works with anthrax and falsely claims 'covert ops' experience. This accused domestic terrorist could be based on the case of Steven Hatfill. Additionally, the return of Nicole Wallace is of interest to both the detectives and viewers alike.
- During the investigation, Goren and Eames confront Gavin Haynes in his office, as they discover Wallace told him about Hitchens's embezzlement as well as the events at Hudson University from the episode "Anti-Thesis". According to Gavin, he has been inoculated against the police's "lies".
- The detectives discover where Wallace crossed paths with Dr. Roger Stern. In the previous episode "Zoonotic", Stern's collection revealed the missing two grams of anthrax bacterium.
| Previous episode:|
| "A Person of Interest"|
Law & Order: Criminal Intent
| Next episode:|