|←||L&O, Episode 5.03||→|
|Production number: 69402|
First aired: 5 October 1994
| Teleplay By|
René Balcer & Morgan Gendel
René Balcer & Hall Powell
A woman tries to blame the murder of her former boss on the abuse that she had to endure.
Detectives Lennie Briscoe & Mike Logan investigate the murder of a Japanese businessman killed in a hotel. First they suspect a robber, but quickly get rid of that theory and begin to suspect a woman who claims the businessman forced her to have sex with clients in Japan. This leads Assistant Excecutive District Attorney Jack McCoy and Assistant District Attorney Claire Kincaid to battle racism and sympathy for the shooter to get a conviction.
This episode also shows Mike Logan's slight disdain for the Japanese, claiming "they think they're better than everybody else."
- Jerry Orbach as Detective Lennie Briscoe
- Chris Noth as Detective Mike Logan
- S. Epatha Merkerson as Lieutenant Anita Van Buren
- Sam Waterston as Executive A.D.A. Jack McCoy
- Jill Hennessy as A.D.A. Claire Kincaid
- Steven Hill as D.A. Adam Schiff
- Ron Orbach as Defense Attorney Max Hellman
- Joyce Reehling as Defense Attorney Mildred Kaskel
- Shawn Elliott as Judge Joseph Rivera
- Carolyn McCormick as Dr. Elizabeth Olivet
- John Fiore as Detective Tony Profaci
- Laura Linney as Martha Bowen
- Aida Turturro as a Cocktail Waitress
- Chuck Cooper as Art Samuels
- Ilene Kristen as Sandra Krane
- Dan Desmond as Ed Royland
- Tibor Feldman as Kendrick
- Michael Mastro as Jensen
- Tom Shillue as Danny Zabel
- Katrina Lantz as Suzy Kamecki
- Melissa Justin as Diane Elcott
- Virginia Wing as Dr. Watanabe
- Glenn Kubota as Nakahara
- Mike Girard Sheehan as Detective Dennis Murray
- Vanessa Marshall as Veronica
- Hynden Walch as Angel Monroe
- John Scurti as Hoeck
- James Doerr as Grady
- Rufus Collins as Teagle
- Daniel Hagen as Dixon (EMS)
- Robert Phelps as Ron
- Barbara Christie as Irene
- Akira Takayama as a Karaoke Singer
- Susan Willerman as Jury Forewoman
- Briscoe: What's the deal, Mike? Your favorite uncle died at Pearl Harbor?
- Logan: It's their attitude. They think they're better than everybody else. Masters of the universe. Doesn't that bother you?
- Briscoe: What bothers me is some kid heisting my car for a living because nobody taught him how to read.
Background information and notes
This episode was inspired by the Japanese use of comfort women during World War II.
Episode scene cards
Samuel's Talent Agency
| Previous episode:|
| "Blue Bamboo"|
Law & Order
| Next episode:|