|"Can I Get a Witness?"|
|←||L&O, Episode 14.16||→|
|Production number: E4320|
First aired: 25 February 2004
| Written By|
A boy is murdered in the park in front of two witnesses by a man on a bicycle. When the witnesses are repeatedly threatened and one turns up dead, the case against the murderer begins to unravel.
- Jerry Orbach as Detective Lennie Briscoe
- Jesse L. Martin as Detective Ed Green
- S. Epatha Merkerson as Lieutenant Anita Van Buren
- Sam Waterston as Executive A.D.A. Jack McCoy
- Elisabeth Röhm as A.D.A. Serena Southerlyn
- Fred Dalton Thompson as D.A. Arthur Branch
- Gerry Becker as Gerard Wills
- Hazelle Goodman as Mrs. Gordon
- Dorian Missick as Ronald Duggan aka Slug
- April L. Hernandez as Shayna Rosario
- Chadwick Boseman as Foster Keyes
- Jacques Cowart II as Calvin Jacob Rivers
- Joe Gonzalez as Sergeant Martinez
- Victoria Haas as Jeanne Hobbs
- Lisa Dawnell James as Mrs. Weber
- Sharifa Laguerre as Jannette Richards
- David Little as Judge Michael Schneider
- Diego López as Eduardo Gomez
- Jared Miller as Technician Dino Renzetti
- Collins Pennie as Jimmy Gordon
- Kate Rigg as Sally Xiao
- Karen Shallo as Judge Anna Shiro
- Alberto Vazquez as Roberto Rosario
- Bruce Ward as Ed Connolly
- Susan Kelechi Watson as Tanya Ware
- Michael Louis Wells as Matthew Clemens
- Mark Zimmerman as Judge Nathan Murphy
- Keisha Trim as Chantal
- Ben Van Bergen as Mike
- Russ Russo as Sketch Artist
- Bill Quigley as Court Officer
- Yves Michel-Beneche as Jack
- Dequan Henderson as Cox
- Dominique Deverau as Julie
- Anita Flanagan as CSU Technician
- Marcus Carl Franklin as Tate
- Ta'rea Campbell as Young Woman
- John Henry as Jury Foreperson
- Christopher Benson Reed as Uniform Sergeant #2
- Kevin Scullin as Court Clerk
- Jesse Shafer as Uniform Officer
- Green: Well, we might as well start canvassing the neighborhood.
- Briscoe: See if anybody saw a kid on a bike? That ought to narrow it down.
- Briscoe: We've talked to more felons today than most prison wardens.
- Southerlyn: The police found the gun under the mattress...
- Defense Attorney: In his grandmother's apartment not his.
- Southerlyn: So what, granny did it?
- Briscoe: A couple of years ago, Slug was picked up for armed robbery with a guy named Calvin Jacob Rivers, knocked over a bar.
- Green: Allegedly.
- Van Buren: Let me guess.
- Green: Yep, two dozen witnesses developed amnesia.
- Van Buren: This guy's a walking epidemic.
- Briscoe: He's a public menace.
- Green: It's Keyes' cousin. Homey plays the system like a Stradivarius. Visits Rikers under the table, has his crew intimidate witnesses.
- Briscoe: He's got the whole neighborhood under his thumb.
- Shayna Rosario: Look, I told you nobody threatened me.
- Southerlyn: As soon as you give us a statement, we can arrest Slug.
- Shayna Rosario: Jail won't stop him. You don't think I don't know what happened to Jimmy? As long as I keep my mouth shut, I'll be safe.
- McCoy: Not necessarily. Slug may reach out and try to silence you on the chance that you might testify.
- Shayna Rosario: Yeah, now he might, somebody sees you here. If my father knew you here right now ...
- Southerlyn: We're going to protect you.
- Shayna Rosario: Like you protected Jimmy?
Background information and notes
Lennie mentions that a surprising number of men named Bernard visit prison. In real life, Jerry Orbach's middle name was Bernard.
Episode scene cards
| Previous episode:|
| "Can I Get a Witness?"|
Law & Order
| Next episode:|