|←||SVU, Episode 1.18||→|
|Production number: E0923|
First aired: 14 April 2000
| Written By|
A teen's false claim that she was assaulted by a man who befriended her on the Internet leads to a case involving pedophilia.
- Christopher Meloni as Detective Elliot Stabler
- Mariska Hargitay as Detective Olivia Benson
- Richard Belzer as Detective John Munch
- Michelle Hurd as Detective Monique Jeffries
- Dann Florek as Captain Donald Cragen
- Jenna Stern as A.D.A. Kathleen Eastman
- Isabel Gillies as Kathy Stabler
- Erin Broderick as Maureen Stabler
- Paz de la Huerta as Karen Raye
- Reed Birney as Harry Waters
- Ben Shenkman as Max Knaack
- Siobhan Fallon as Melissa Raye
- Rita Gardner as Doris Harrington
- John C. Havens as Johnstone
- Ellen Muth as Elaine Harrington
- Mark Zeisler as McClintock
- Angela Bullock as Attorney Hammond
- Jeffrey Bean as Wallis
- Adam LeFevre as Principal
- Wally Dunn as Michael Marolo
- Ray Fitzgerald as FBI Agent Schreck
- Mark Matkevich as Keith Vaneshun
- Joanne Bayes as Betty
- John Fiske as Pedophile #1
- Richard C. Johnson as Pedophile #2
- Elliot Stabler: Look. Someone comes to me and says they want to store illegal stuff in my garage, he's either my best friend or I'm getting something out of the deal.
- Keith Vaneshun: He's not my friend.
- Olivia Benson: No? So what's in it for you then, Keith? I mean, you're the one with the pictures of her and the e-mails and the pictures of dozens of other girls.
- Keith Vaneshun: I don't know how that got there.
- Elliot Stabler: Do we look like imbeciles to you?
- Keith Vaneshun: They're just pictures, man.
- Elliot Stabler: THEY'RE NOT JUST PICTURES! These are underaged girls, terrified, drugged and getting photographed without their permission.
- Stabler: We got anything on this guy or what?
- Cragen: Well, he propositioned her but no actual sex.
- Stabler: Actual sex. He flashed her. He perved her in ways she's not even aware of.
- Cragen: Okay. How about this? He entered into an improper relationship with a minor.
- Elliot Stabler: You just said 'No real sex'. According to her story.
- Cragen: He doesn't know that. He doesn't know what she told us.
- Stabler: Oh, now, Captain. You're not suggesting we lie to the poor man, are ya?
- Cragen: Absolutely not. Role-playing. Fantasy. Make-believe. That crap he's been peddling to us about victimless crimes.
- "What do child molesters talk about when they get together?"
- – John Munch
- "She got her driver's license, and, well, that's when I learned I was just a glorified taxi service. Sally Ashton."
- – Unnamed Pedophile
- Cragen: Don't you ever bad-mouth my people in their own station house.
- Schreck: Better get used to it. 'Cause when I tell Langley how an operation that involved 9 regional bureaus got blown, your name is gonna be prominently featured.
- Cragen: It's spelled C-R-A-G-E-N. And we were doing what we always do, which is to take pedophiles off the street!
- Schreck: 4 collars, at the expense of hundreds more, who, right now, are getting e-mail telling them the cops are on 'em.
- Cragen: It's a hell of a lot more than you did for us!
- Schreck: It was an undercover operation!
- Cragen: You were in my city investigating sex crimes, and you didn't seem fit to give me a heads-up?!
- Schreck: We're dealing with virtual world, which is everywhere and nowhere!
- Cragen: But eventually, you gotta put real-life cuffs on a real-life perp!
- Schreck: It's not just you! We were in Los Angeles and Chicago and dozens of other places! It's for the right reason. We wanted to bring in the big predators.
- Cragen: That's why the bad guys were runnin' rings around us.
- Schreck: Why?
- Cragen: Because they're workin' together, and we're not.
Background information and notes
The episode ends with this message:
At any given moment,
there are 3.4 million
anonymous chat room users
on the internet.
Episode scene cards
St. Monica's High School
| Previous episode:|
| "Chat Room"|
Law & Order: Special Victims Unit
| Next episode:|