|←||L&O, Episode 9.01||→|
|Production number: E0203|
First aired: 23 September 1998
| Teleplay By|
Kathy McCormick, Carl Nelson & Scott Tobin
After a baby girl is found dead, Briscoe and Curtis investigate the family and learn that her adopted family and brother were trying to keep some painful secrets. Jack McCoy gets a new partner, Abbie Carmichael, who had a 95% percent success rate in her four years with Special Narcotics. Together McCoy and Carmichael try to prove that the little girl's brother committed the crime.
- Jerry Orbach as Detective Lennie Briscoe
- Benjamin Bratt as Detective Rey Curtis
- S. Epatha Merkerson as Lieutenant Anita Van Buren
- Sam Waterston as Executive A.D.A. Jack McCoy
- Angie Harmon as A.D.A. Abbie Carmichael
- Steven Hill as D.A. Adam Schiff
- Joe Grifasi as Defense Attorney James Linde
- Jeanne Ruskin as Defense Attorney Alice Marsdale
- Tom Stechschulte as Judge Harold Rockwell
- J.K. Simmons as Dr. Emil Skoda
- Leslie Hendrix as M.E. Elizabeth Rodgers
- Laurie Kennedy as Judge Bonnie Shields
- Keely Eastley as Judge Lillian Barone
- Graham Winton as Mr. Waring
- Spencer Breslin as Nicholas Waring
- Lisa Bostnar as Elizabeth Waring
- Monique Fowler as Megan Connery
- Edward Conery as Edward Connery
- Victor Steinbach as Dr. Andre Kostov
- Mike Burstyn as Kevin Yates
- Amy Resnick as Dr. Maureen Atkins
- William Paulson as Samuel Holtz
- Glynis Bell as Dr. Elaine Spencer
- Deborah Cresswell as Martha Robertson
- Mark Rosenthal as M.E. Charters
- Joseph Jamrog as George Bigelow
- Katie C. Sparer as Martha Davies
- Dan Snook as Jim Sullivan
- Angela Pupello as Patricia Sullivan
- Teresa Yenque as Angela Cruz
- Gary Evans as Officer Blackledge
- Kevin Eldon as Oscar Castellano
- Joseph Priestly as Jury Foreman
- [McCoy and Carmichael disagree on whether or not to accept a plea bargain for the Connerys]
- McCoy: They'll be pariahs for the rest of their lives.
- Carmichael: They lose a few friends. That's your idea of justice?
- McCoy: 3-6 years in a state prison is not a cake walk. How many drug dealers got a free pass from you?
- Carmichael: The ones who could give me someone bigger in return. All the Connerys have to offer is their plea-bargained remorse. She's still trying to blame it on Kostov. Did you see her husband cut her off?
- McCoy: She's the least culpable of the 3.
- Carmichael: [exasperated] Oh, gentlemen, please! That sorry excuse for a woman has a hole in her soul.
- Schiff: That's enough.
- McCoy: I can take care of myself, Adam.
- Schiff: Then remain objective. It was Edward Connery's actions that directly caused the little girl's death, and he's an attorney. He knew what he was doing.
- McCoy: The Connerys will never do this again. Kostov has and will, over and over again.
- Schiff: Are Kostov's children better off in the new homes?
- Carmichael: All but Marianna. [beat] I have a solution that will make us all happy.
- McCoy: What's that?
- Carmichael: No deals for anybody. Let's hang 'em all.
- [Schiff snickers]
- [after Kostov and the Connerys have been convicted of the baby's death]
- Carmichael: Man-1 all around. I'll start working on the pre-sentencing reports. Any suggestions?
- McCoy: You mean who should spend more time in prison? Kostov or the Connerys? Don't get me started.
- Carmichael: We can always skip the report and take no position. Leave it to the judge.
- McCoy: Let's do that for the sake of world peace.
- Carmichael: The Waring's filed a petition to get their son back. We have until the end of the week to file our objections.
- McCoy: Can you and I agree that we're too busy?
- Carmichael: [beat] Deal.
Background information and notes
- At one time in this episode, Abbie says, "We're not talking about a couple of teenagers who killed their newborn because they were scared." Interestingly enough, Episode 159 ("Denial") dealt with that exact situation.
- Benjamin Bratt's introductory image changes in the opening montage, as does S. Epatha Merkerson's. This is the third time for Bratt, a series record.
- Angie Harmon's first contract appearance as A.D.A. Abbie Carmichael.
Episode scene cards
New York Supreme Court
| Previous episode:|
Law & Order
| Next episode:|