|...as Detective Stabler (Season 8)|
Detective Elliot Stabler
|Date of birth|
2 April 1961
|Place of birth|
Christopher Peter Meloni is an American Emmy Award-nominated actor best known for his role as Detective Elliot Stabler on Law & Order: Special Victims Unit, and as the bisexual serial killer Chris Keller on HBO's Oz.
He wears a fake tattoo of the U.S. Marine Corps emblem (the eagle, globe, and anchor) on his arm for his role in Special Victims Unit ("Outcry" & "Underbelly") He has a real tattoo of a butterfly on his upper thigh, and a cubist representation of the crucifixion of Christ tattooed on his upper left arm.
In 2006 Meloni was nominated for his first Emmy Award, in the category of Outstanding Lead Actor in a Drama Series, for his role as Elliot Stabler.
- Meloni is one of five actors in SVU who also appeared in HBO's Oz, the other four being Dean Winters, B.D. Wong, Mike Doyle, and J.K. Simmons (another Oz regular, Kathryn Erbe, has starred on Law & Order: Criminal Intent since the show began in 2001 and Lee Tergesen, who's character was romantically involved with Meloni's character in the show, guest starred in Law & Order: SVU episode "Savior").
- Meloni made an appearance in Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas as the sarcastic, homosexual front desk clerk during the police convention scene.
- Before starting his acting career, Meloni worked as a construction worker, bouncer, bartender, and personal trainer.
- He is married to production designer Doris Meloni (née Williams) and has two kids: daughter Sophia Eva (born on March 23, 2001) and son Dante Amadeo (born on January 2, 2004)
- Has a tattoo of a cubist representation of the crucifixion of Christ on his upper left arm, a butterfly on his left upper thigh, and a Chinese astrological chart of his family on his right lower leg.