|←||SVU, Episode 9.19||→|
|Production number: 9019|
First aired: 13 May 2008
| Written By|
Main cast Edit
- Christopher Meloni as Detective Elliot Stabler
- Mariska Hargitay as Detective Olivia Benson
- Richard Belzer as Sergeant John Munch
- Diane Neal as A.D.A. Casey Novak
- Ice-T as Detective Odafin Tutuola
- Adam Beach as Detective Chester Lake
- B.D. Wong as Dr. George Huang (credit only)
- Tamara Tunie as Dr. Melinda Warner
- Dann Florek as Captain Donald Cragen
Recurring cast Edit
- Mike Doyle as Forensics Technician Ryan O'Halloran
- Joanna Merlin as Judge Lena Petrovsky
- Caren Browning as CSU Captain Judith Siper
- Judith Light as Judge Elizabeth Donnelly
- Viola Davis as Attorney Donna Emmett
Guest cast Edit
- Deirdre Lovejoy as Penelope Fielding
- Victoria Cartagena as Celina Cruz
- Jack Gwaltney as Officer Thomas Crane
- Brian Tarantina as Bill Jensen
- Anthony Ruiz as Hector Hernandez
- Robert Turano as Wesley Meadows
- Torsten N. Hillhouse as Detective Dave Foster
- Lawrence Ballard as A.D.A Brett Smith
- Philip Levy as Desk Officer Fineman
- Eva Kaminsky as Mary Kralik
- Ira Hawkins as Detective
- Eric Morace as ESU Lieutenant
- Sandra Berrios as Supervisor
- Arthur Gerunda as Inspector
- Tony Naumovski as Agent #1
- Charles Caliendo as Cop
- Tyree Michael Simpson as Man #1
- John Lederer as Man #2
- Sharon Maguire as Foreman
- Ken Schwarz as Juror #2
- Eric S. Kuhn as Juror #3
- Casey Novak: What are you selling, Brett?
- Brett Smith: Criminal Defense.
- Casey Novak: Yeah, hard to imagine.
- Brett Smith: You've worked sex crimes longer than most and you're still passionate, we need you.
- Casey Novak: Yeah, well, it's harder to care when your clients are guilty.
- Brett Smith: Ours are accused of SEC violations, not diddling some 4 year old on the playground.
- Casey Novak: Look, I'm sorry. I have to go.
- Bret Smith: No more late night calls, no more rape victims and dead kids. How do you sleep at night?
- Casey Novak: I don't.
- Captain Cragen: Tread easy. Everybody is already heated enough.
- Fin Tutuola: What's going on in Philly?
- Chester Lake: Really good cheesesteaks.
- Chester Lake: Are you interrogating me, detective?
- Elliot Stabler: No. I'm watching you drown.
- M.E. Melinda Warner: I see the circus is in town.
- Elliot Stabler: What do you expect? When cops shoot each other, clowns come out. It's entertainment.
- Fin Tutuola [to Elliot]: Do you know everything about Olivia?
- Elliot Stabler: No, but I'd notice if she disappeared once a month.
- Chester Lake: I'm not used to sitting to take a leak.
- Fin Tutuola: That's the price of turning a vacant lot into the OK Corral.
- Captain Cragen: Olivia, Elliot... my office.
- Casey Novak: You think you could manage to read Detective Lake his rights?
- Elliot Stabler: I miss something?
- Casey Novak: I specifically told you not to question him. He's under the 48-hour rule and shielded from interrogation.
- Elliot Stabler: Don't worry. He didn't say anything.
- Casey Novak: Yeah, and lucky for you. Because if he talked, it would've been inadmissible and under immunity.
- Elliot Stabler: Okay, so how are we supposed to put this down when most crimes are solved within the first 48?
- Casey Novak: You know what? That's not my problem. So you either follow orders, or just stay out of the way.
- Fin Tutuola: Dumping my phones was a bitch move, Stabler.
- Elliot Stabler: Yeah, I called him. I didn't think he'd run.
- Fin Tutuola: You should've stayed out of it.
- Olivia Benson: Take it easy.
- Fin Tutuola: He's my partner.
- Elliot Stabler: Who you helped evade arrest.
- Captain Cragen: Dial it down or you're both going on report. Lake is not our problem anymore. The fugitive apprehension team will take it from here.
- Fin Tutuola: All those guys do is workout and shoot guns. They're gonna kill Lake.
- Captain Cragen: Well, that's not how FAT works, Detective.
- Fin Tutuola: Kralik's got a lot of friends on the street that'd like to see Lake dead. You gotta at least let me look.
- Elliot Stabler: Where you gonna start? You don't even know the guy.
- Fin Tutuola: I know he didn't do it.
- Elliot Stabler: Three bullet holes in the victim's back say different.
- Fin Tutuola: You ever think the force behind the first two spun Kralik? We're trained to keep firing till the subject is down.
- Fin Tutuola: News reports are saying Lake took a hostage. Who gave them that?
- Elliot Stabler: How about your partner after he took Cecelia Cruz with a warrant on his ass?
- Olivia Benson: All Lake had to do was ID the shooter.
- Elliot Stabler: You can't be sure that he saw him. It was dark out, there were bullets flying.
- Olivia Benson: What is your problem?
- Elliot Stabler: He didn't trust us.
- Olivia Benson: And maybe for good reason.
- Elliot Stabler: Look, all the evidence pointed to his guilty.
- Olivia Benson: Which means that we should've taken a hard look at Lake, not Fin.
- Elliot Stabler: Oh, so I shouldn't have dumped his phones?
- Olivia Benson: Fin's a straight shooter, Elliot. All you had to do was ask him. I think you need to make this right.
- Elliot Stabler [with a gun to Thomas Crane's head when Crane is ready to shoot Lake]: Squeeze that trigger, you'll be dead before the slug leaves the pipe.
- Casey Novak: The jury's looking at my witness like she did something wrong.
- M.E. Melinda Warner: People feel strongly about immigration on both sides.
- Casey Novak: That's why your forensic testimony needs to be solid. Is this partial profile enough to say he's a match?
- M.E. Melinda Warner: Yes, but it leaves you wide open on rebuttal.
- Casey Novak: Okay, why?
- M.E. Melinda Warner: All human cells except platelets have 13 loci. The semen the lab tested presented only nine, which means it was significantly degraded.
- Casey Novak: I'll need probabilities as to the DNA match for Crane.
- M.E. Melinda Warner: I can't give them with what we have.
- Casey Novak: Okay, without it, he walks. Thomas Crane raped and murdered a young girl, and we gave him the badge to hide behind while he did it.
- M.E. Melinda Warner: I know what you want me to say, but the science doesn't support it.
- Casey Novak: When the defense gets these lab reports, they might have enough for reasonable doubt. Can you live with that?
- M.E. Melinda Warner: If I have to, because I sure as hell won't risk my reputation for a verdict we didn't earn.
- Donna Emmett: Two shooters. You must be a hard man to kill.
- Chester Lake: Well, I was lucky.
- Donna Emmett [to Lake]: You call the lab to move the evidence. What were you told by the desk officer?
- Chester Lake: That I needed a boss to request it.
- Donna Emmett: Was that all you were told?
- Chester Lake: I don't recall.
- Donna Emmett: You weren't told that the evidence was too degraded and contaminated for testing?
- Chester Lake: No.
- Donna Emmett: Objection. Your Honor, I call for an immediate mistrial. There's a serious cover-up going on here, and I have proof that this witness perjured himself, and the prosecution violated Brady.
- Casey Novak: Your Honor, that's ridiculous. no one lied. Counsel is accusing my office of conspiracy in front of the jury just to score points.
- Judge Lena Petrovsky: Enough! In my chambers now.
- Donna Emmett: DNA is the rock on which the people built their case. They don't have a credible witness.
- Casey Novak: Cecelia Cruz's immigrant status has nothing to do with her eyewitness testimony.
- Donna Emmett: And yet they've placed more emphasis on biological evidence, which I discovered was compromised.
- Judge Lena Petrovsky: Is that true, Miss Novak?
- Casey Novak: No, the evidence was tested by lab protocol.
- Donna Emmett: Then where are the reports? Because I don't have them.
- Casey Novak: Incomplete. They're not finished.
- Donna Emmett: And the dog ate my homework.
- Casey Novak: I will turn everything over as soon as it is done.
- Judge Lena Petrovsky: See that you do. And the conspiracy?
- Donna Emmett: Detective Lake perjured himself. He was told that the sample was too degraded for testing by the evidence intake officer.
- Casey Novak: Who's not a DNA expert. If it's so degraded, how did we find two separate profiles?
- Donna Emmett: I think you want to win so badly you'd plant the evidence and frame my client.
- Casey Novak: Oh, the OJ defense. That's original. Good for you.
- Judge Lena Petrovsky: Knock it off. I grant the missing lab reports are suspicious, but you can't accuse sworn officers without hard evidence.
- Donna Emmett: The prosecution tried to sandbag the defense, Your Honor.
- Judge Lena Petrovsky: And you'll have those reports by close of business today... or Miss Novak will be in contempt.
- Elliot Stabler [to Fin]: Look, the situation got a little heated and I want to say I'm sorry about that.
- Fin Tutuola: You're a bulldog, Stabler. Quick to assume, slow to admit when you're wrong. Makes for a good cop, but a lousy human being...
- Olivia Benson: Fin, hear him out.
- Fin Tutuola: Stay out of it, Liv. That being said, I know what it cost you.
- Elliot Stabler: Appreciate that.
- Fin Tutuola: I'm not done. The problem is you will still be the same rat bastard tomorrow, and nothing you say will ever change that.
- Casey Novak: You wanted to see me, Judge Donnelly?
- Judge Donnelly: Yes. The um, the DA is declining to refile charges against Thomas Krane.
- Casey Novak: He raped and murdered Alissa Hernandez and he gets to keep his badge?
- Judge Donnelly: Because of your actions, Counselor.
- Casey Novak: With all due respect, ma'am, this doesn't concern you.
- Judge Donnelly: It does now. (hands her a file)
- Casey Novak: I'm being called before the bar.
- Judge Donnelly: At my insistence.
- Casey Novak: Why?
- Judge Donnelly: Because you lost perspective. And because I sit on the peer review board and I cannot allow you to commit a Brady violation and lie to the court without consequence.
- Casey Novak: The reports weren't finished, Your Honor! I sent them back!
- Judge Donnelly: You lied to Petrovsky and now you're lying to me. The lab reports were dated and stamped! We are all civil servants, Casey! No one is falling on their sword for you! (pauses) What I want to know is why.
- Casey Novak: (calmly) Because the bad guys can't always win. He deserved to pay.
- Judge Donnelly: And so do you.
- Casey Novak: How much trouble am I in?
- Judge Donnelly: Censure. Possible suspension.
- Casey Novak: For how long?
- Judge Donnelly: A year. Maybe more.
- Casey Novak: (starts to cry) What should I do?
- Judge Donnelly: Something else.
Background information and notes Edit
- This is the final appearance of Adam Beach as Detective Chester Lake.
- The mighty Casey strikes out; final appearance of Diane Neal as A.D.A Casey Novak until "Reparations," the 21st episode of season 12.
Episode scene cards Edit
Mercy General Hospital
Office of the
Darraty's Fruit Packing
Stebor Clothing Designs
Trial Part 46
Trial Part 46
| Previous episode:|
Law & Order: Special Victims Unit
| Next episode:|