|←||CI, Episode 2.10||→|
|Production number: E3213|
First aired: 5 January 2003
| Teleplay By|
René Balcer & Gerry Conway
Detectives Goren and Eames investigate the case of two low-rent criminals found slain and dumped on a field.
- Vincent D'Onofrio as Detective Robert Goren
- Kathryn Erbe as Detective Alexandra Eames
- Jamey Sheridan as Captain James Deakins
- Courtney B. Vance as A.D.A. Ron Carver
- Karen Black as Vera Morgan
- Mark Blum as Dr. Philip Oliver
- Sean Dugan as Douglas Morgan
- Patricia R. Floyd as M.E. Rafi
- Gibson Frazier as Jimmy Connelly
- Heather Goldenhersh as Roseanne Connelly
- John Benjamin Hickey as Randall Fuller
- Joey Vega as Detective Javier
- John Viscardi as Barry Cooper
- Julie Lauren as Lena Caruso
- Graeme Malcolm as Mickey Connelly
- William Jess Russell as Keppler
- Richard Shoberg as Dunne
- Cheryl Lynn Bowers as Peggy
- Eric Martin Brown as Kevin
- Ron Carver: It's gobbledy-gook.
- Robert Goren: It's high level gobbledy-gook.
- "Must be frustrating. A mind that even you can't unlock."
- – Ron Carver
- (while Goren is poking an eyeball)
- Alexandra Eames: Having fun?
- Robert Goren: No, go on. I'm listening.
"Is it a cult? Mind control?"
"They use the same psychological coercion as cults."
"So did the guy who sold me my car. No one forced those people to stay last night."
- - Ron Carver, Robert Goren and Alexandra Eames
Background information and notes
- This episode seems to be based on the Lisa McPherson case. McPherson was a member of the Church of Scientology who died from starvation and dehydration while under the care of the Flag Service Organization (FSO), a branch of the Church of Scientology. Following her death, the Church was indicted on two felony charges, "abuse and/or neglect of a disabled adult" and "practicing medicine without a license." The charges against the Church were dropped after the state's medical examiner changed the cause of death from "undetermined" to an "accident". The case ended in a settlement between the Church and McPherson's family. (Source: Lisa McPherson at Wikipedia)
- In this episode, Detective Robert Goren shocks his colleague Alexandra Eames (and the audience) by poking one of the corpse's eyeballs.
- Actress Karen Black, who plays Douglas Morgan's mother Vera, is a long-time Scientologist.
- Actor Sean Dugan also appeared as Bobby Douglas in the Law & Order: Special Victims Unit third season episode "Silence".
| Previous episode:|
Law & Order: Criminal Intent
| Next episode:|