|←||L&O, Episode 8.22||→|
|Production number: K2522|
First aired: 6 May 1998
| Written By|
A teacher's shooting involves the rape of a mentally challenged coed by students, whose attorney claims they weren't aware of her condition.
- Jerry Orbach as Detective Lennie Briscoe
- Benjamin Bratt as Detective Rey Curtis
- S. Epatha Merkerson as Lieutenant Anita Van Buren
- Sam Waterston as Executive A.D.A. Jack McCoy
- Carey Lowell as A.D.A. Jamie Ross
- Steven Hill as D.A. Adam Schiff
- Lauren Ambrose as Valerie Maxwell
- Claire Beckman as Amanda Novak
- Johnny Dapolito as Danny Jones
- Jennifer Estlin as Cathy Briscoe
- Christine Farrell as Forensics Technician Arlene Shrier
- John Christopher Jones as Raymond Maxwell
- Mark Lotito as Detective Mallory
- Ron McLarty as Judge William Wright
- Irving Metzman as Jay Amsterdam
- J.K. Simmons as Dr. Emil Skoda
- Molly Regan as Mrs. Davenport
- Gerry Rosenthal as Randy Baxter
- Amanda Sharkey as Judy Palnick
- Gregory Burke as Jimmy Marshall
- Steven Mark Friedman as Nathan Shrieber
- Melissa Marsala as Emily Bailey
- Julia Weldon as Sally Maxwell
- Kate Skinner as Wilderman
- Adam LaVorgna as Hayden McLaughlin
- Alison Folland as Gina Bowman
- Jon Abrahams as Roscoe Johnson
- Robert Clohessy as Painter
- Julie Halston as Lapinsky
- Buzz Roddy as Moskowitz
- Bruce Birns as Manhattan foreperson
- Jim Moody as Judge Langlois
- Mary Perez as Alicia Ortega
- Steven Mark Friedman as Nathan Schrieber
- Dennis Ryan as Lloyd Novak
- Jimmy Carter
- Briscoe: Is your gun here now?
- Maxwell: [silence]
- Curtis: Listen, when the police ask to see your licensed handgun, you don`t get to say no.
- Valerie: My mom's dead. She's in heaven though. And she watches over us all the time. That's what Sally told me.
- Dr. Skoda: What else has she told you?
- Valerie: She told me that it's very important to know the names of people when you're talking to them, Dr. Skoda. And to always look people in the eye, and say thank you and please.
- Dr. Skoda: Sally takes good care of you.
- Valerie: I'm the oldest. I should be the one watching after Sally.
- Dr. Skoda: Does that bother you?
- Valerie: Dad says I'm special. That's why I'm Special Ed.
- Dr. Skoda: Do the other kids treat you special?
- Valerie: ...Nicole. She spilled ice cream on my new dress. Didn't even say "I'm sorry". She just called me a dummy.
- Dr. Skoda: What about Hayden, Roscoe and Randy? Did they ever call you names?
- Valerie: They're my friends. Friends don't hurt each other. It's what Gina said.
- Dr. Skoda: Who's Gina?
- Valerie: She's in 12th grade. Gina Bowman. She's my friend, too. She told me Hayden wanted to play.
- Dr. Skoda: Valerie, can you tell some reasons why a woman might want to have sex with a man?
- Valerie: 'Cause that's what you do when somebody loves you.
- "Briscoe said the adults are so enlightened they make his teeth hurt."
- – Ross
- Lennie Briscoe: They told you it was a game? What game did they say it was?
- Valerie Maxwell: Sex.
- Curtis: And that was okay?
- Valerie: I told them I couldn`t, because Dad says sex is for when you`re in love.
- Curtis: Then what did they do?
- Valerie: They laughed a lot. They said they loved me.
- "That school is a snake pit. The students are out of control and all the administration cares about is covering its collective ass."
- – Amanda Novak
- Judge Wright: Does the defense wish to make a motion?
- Painter: CPL 290.10. The defense moves to set aside the jury's verdict.
- McCoy: Objection! The prosecution proved its case!
- Judge Wright: What case, Mr. McCoy? Have we gone so far down the road of political correctness that sex between willing partners is now called rape?! The girl said yes!
- McCoy: She has the mind of a child!
- Judge Wright: Well, she's mature enough to be plenty intrigued by her own sexuality. Face it, counselor. She had the time of her life. Case dismissed.
- Judge Wright: Now, Valerie, Hayden called you a retard, and you told him you weren't. Is that right?
- Valerie: Yes, sir.
- Judge Wright: And after that, did he keep on calling you a retard?
- Valerie: No.
- Judge Wright: Did you like what the boys did to you?
- Valerie: I did what I wanted.
- Painter: Your honor, the defense requests you deny the state's motion to reverse your prior ruling.
- Judge Wright: Granted.
- McCoy: You set aside the jury's verdict, because you unfairly held the state responsible for proving the boys' prior knowledge. The state has now done so, and you STILL refuse?!!
- Judge Wright: Mr. McCoy, it's over! There is no case here. There never was!
- McCoy: How would you know?! You made up your mind before you heard the first word of testimony!
- Judge Wright: You're on thin ice, counselor! The defense request is granted! The state's motion is denied! You want to appeal?! Be my guest!
- [after seeing Cathy's dead body]
- Briscoe: She was my baby, Rey! What am I gonna do?
- Curtis: Come home with me, partner.
Background information and notes
Episode scene cards
| Previous episode:|
Law & Order
| Next episode:|