Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
|←||SVU, Episode 3.21||→|
|Production number: E2334|
First aired: 3 May 2002
| Written By|
A drug addict is sexually assaulted, but she's in trouble when a finger is found in her purse.
When heroin junkie Claire Rinato is found raped, Fin takes an interest in her, but when the police find a severely decomposed finger in her purse, it opens a can of worms that goes back 13 years, when teenaged Claire witnessed her mother beating her younger sister, Lisa, to death -- and even further back to when Claire's grandmother, Rose, turned Grace in for the murder of her first-born son, Anthony, years before Claire was born.
Main cast Edit
- Christopher Meloni as Detective Elliot Stabler
- Mariska Hargitay as Detective Olivia Benson
- Richard Belzer as Detective John Munch (credit only)
- Stephanie March as A.D.A. Alexandra Cabot
- Ice-T as Detective Odafin Tutuola
- Dann Florek as Captain Donald Cragen
Recurring cast Edit
- Tamara Tunie as M.E. Melinda Warner
- Joanna Merlin as Judge Lena Petrovsky
- Tom O'Rourke as Judge Mark Seligman
- Judith Light as Bureau Chief Elizabeth Donnelly
- Magaly Colimon as Dr. Erica Olsen
Guest cast Edit
- Mary Steenburgen as Grace Rinato
- Martha Plimpton as Claire Rinato
- J. Kyle Manzay as Malcolm
- Estelle Parsons as Rose Rinato
- Danny Johnson as Attorney Sean Kramer
- Andrew Polk as Dr. Devere
- William Watkins as Uniform Officer #1
- Chris Meyer as Harding
- Noel True as Tina
- Nadia Bowers as Bella
- Michael Knowles as Arthur Felton
- Sam Guncler as Gary Barbour
- Charles Goad as Court Clerk
- Sal Petraccione as Hotel Clerk
- Albert Jones as Uniform Officer #2
- "It's official: the finger's dead."
- – Melinda Warner
- Claire Rinato: You're gonna tell me you know how I feel, right?
- Odafin Tutuola: Well, I never saw my dead sister stuffed in the back of a closet like an old pair of shoes.
- Alexandra Cabot: Your Honor, the defendant murdered a child. She violently beat a two-year-old child to death and shows no remorse.
- Lena Petrovsky: Are you proposing to try your case right here, Ms. Cabot?
- Alexandra Cabot: No, I'm simply using rhetoric in order to make my point.
- Lena Petrovsky: One of your more endearing qualities.
- Claire Rinato: What kind of a name is Fin?
- Odafin Tutuola: It's mine.
- Odafin Tutuola: Trying to take the easy way out?
- Claire Renato: And if I was?
- Odafin Tutuola: Then it's too bad I got there in time.
- Claire Rinato: I really didn't mean to overdo it. Really.
- Odafin Tutuola: That's what all Junkies say.
- Claire Rinato: You've done your good deed, now you can go.
- Odafin Tutuola: Maybe you don't get it! You're in serious trouble. If you don't pay attention, you're going to prison.
- Claire Rinato: Are you still here?
- Odafin Tutuola: I really can't believe--you know, I almost bought it...how you took care of your sister and loved her--damn, girl, you're better than the soaps!
- Claire Rinato: You have no idea what it feels like to have a mother that doesn't give a damn about you.
- Odafin Tutuola: Violins gonna start any minute.
- Claire Rinato: Screw you. Lisa was all I had. She was actually happy to see me come through the door. Unconditional love is a rush.
(Fin leans in towards Claire)
- Odafin Tutuola: Give it to me straight. You kill her?
- Claire Rinato: No, but I couldn't protect her. Grace was too strong. She told me that if I didn't keep my mouth shut, I was next.
- Odafin Tutuola: You tell anybody?
- Claire Rinato: I called my grandmother the first time I was alone, but she was recovering from another stroke and I guess she didn't believe me.
- Odafin Tutuola: If that's how it went down, then it wasn't your fault.
- Claire Rinato: That little girl trusted me to keep her safe. How is it not my fault?
- Claire Rinato: How's my grandmother?
- Odafin Tutuola: She's holding her own. Won't be able to see her till tomorrow.
(Fin hands Claire a package)
- Claire Rinato: What's that?
- Odafin Tutuola: Your last excuse not to go to rehab. No more lame-ass whining about how you gotta get high to remember what your sister looked like.
(Claire takes the package and unwraps it to find a portrait of Lisa.)
- Claire Rinato: I would hug you, but I can tell you don't like to be touched.
- Odafin Tutuola: (handing her a card) This is a good place to go to start getting clean. A friend of mine runs it and I told him to expect you.
- Claire Rinato: Okay.
- Odafin Tutuola: Don't make me have to come run your ass down, Claire.
- Claire Rinato: (hugs Fin) Thanks.
Background information and notes Edit
- Actor Richard Belzer doesn't appear as Detective John Munch in this episode.
- The episode title "Denial" was also used for the Law & Order eighth season episode, "Denial (L&O)".
- Actress Martha Plimpton was nominated for an Emmy Award in the category Outstanding Guest Actress in a Drama Series for her portrayal of Claire Rinato.
Episode scene cards Edit
Home of Rose Rinato
Apartment of Grace Rinato
Office of the
| Previous episode:|
Law & Order: Special Victims Unit
| Next episode:|