|←||L&O, Episode 9.15||→|
|Production number: E0220|
First aired: 24 February 1999
| Teleplay By|
Richard Sweren & Lynne E. Litt
Kathy McCormick & Lynne E. Litt
After a teenage girl is found dead in the emergency room, the investigation leads to a case involving a religious ritual and a defendant who claims that the action taken was dictated by a saint's voice.
- Jerry Orbach as Detective Lennie Briscoe
- Benjamin Bratt as Detective Rey Curtis
- S. Epatha Merkerson as Lieutenant Anita Van Buren
- Sam Waterston as Executive A.D.A. Jack McCoy
- Angie Harmon as A.D.A. Abbie Carmichael
- Steven Hill as D.A. Adam Schiff
- Peter Bartlett as Judge Thomas Orlin
- Stephen Beach as Father O'Donnell
- Susan Blackwell as Erica Castle
- Michael Bolus as CSU Technician Jones
- Bill Camp as Barney Rade
- Frances Conroy as Rosa Halasy
- Leslie Hendrix as Dr. Elizabeth Rodgers
- Sylva Kelegian as Margo Grayson
- Bruce Kronenberg as Ron Balducci
- Chuck Lewkowicz as Carl Starblenz
- Leighton Meester as Alyssa Turner
- Georgienne Millen as Judy Turner
- John Nacco as Stan Oblinger
- John Ottavino as Manny Turner
- Wendell Pierce as Mr. Wade
- Frank Raiter as Damien Ribot
- Marisa Redanty as Shirley Paxton
- Mel Rodriguez as Bill Crawford
- Gene Ruffini as Owen Forbes
- J.K. Simmons as Dr. Emil Skoda
- Stewart Steinberg as Louie Dantone
- Frank Vlastnik as Dr. Phil Sugarman
- Marcell Rosenblatt as Jury Foreman
- Barbara Caruso as Mother Superior Agnes
- Reathel Bean as Judge Allen Denham
- Steven Randazzo as unknown
- Woman: I'm sorry, three kids with the flu home all week.
- Rey Curtis: I know how it is.
- Woman: No, you don't. You get to go to work.
- Abbie Carmichael: Did they teach you how to perform exorcisms, Jack?
- Jack McCoy: They taught us to have a healthy respect the devil.
- Carmichael: The only devil in this case is the woman we're trying for murder.
- McCoy: No guilt, no remorse. Said voices told her to wage war against Satan.
- Schiff: Son of Sam again.
- McCoy: No. Berkowitz was a psychopathic loser who said he received directions to kill from a Labrador retriever. Rosa's voices tells her to save the world.
- Schiff: A voice is a voice. Nobody's that naive.
- McCoy: To believe in the devil.
- Schiff: People see the devil as an allegory.
- McCoy: I'm not so sure I do.
- Abbie Carmichael: Horns and a pitchfork, Jack?
- "She may hear God, but she may not play God."
- – Jack McCoy during closing arguments
Background information and notes
- This episode appears to be ripped from the headlines of the Charity Miranda case. Charity's mother, Vivian, and a classmate, Serena Martin, engaged her in a two-hour exorcism because her mother believed that Charity had a demon inside of her. Charity died during the exorcism process, and to cover her death, her mother placed her in a plastic bag, leaving her at the bottom of the stairs.
- McCoy has been prosecuting cases for nearly 25 years.
St. Ive's Shelter
Fremont Recreation Center
| Previous episode:|
Law & Order
| Next episode:|