|←||L&O, Episode 10.01||→|
|Production number: E1106|
First aired: 22 September 1999
| Written By|
A murderer's shooting spree in Central Park prompts Briscoe and his new partner, Detective Ed Green, to trace the murder weapon's origin; McCoy makes it his mission to punish the killer and the gun manufacturer.
A group of female medical students is gunned down in Central Park by a rejected applicant. During the investigation, it is learned that the murder weapon was an otherwise legal semi-automatic firearm that can be easily converted to full automatic mode. Based on the theory that the gun manufacturer did not modify the gun design to make it more difficult to turn into an illegal weapon, McCoy attempts to prosecute the company for mass murder.
At the conclusion of the episode, the jury returns a guilty verdict against the manufacturer. However, the trial judge sets aside the jury verdict and issues a directed verdict of not guilty, explaining that the case was certain to be overturned on appeal and that a trial courtroom is not the place to decide constitutional issues.
- Jerry Orbach as Detective Lennie Briscoe
- Jesse L. Martin as Detective Ed Green
- S. Epatha Merkerson as Lieutenant Anita Van Buren
- Sam Waterston as Executive A.D.A. Jack McCoy
- Angie Harmon as A.D.A. Abbie Carmichael
- Steven Hill as D.A. Adam Schiff
- Larry Clarke as Detective Morris LaMotte
- Christine Farrell as Forensics Technician Arlene Shrier
- Ron McLarty as Judge William Wright
- Helen Carey as Defense Attorney Charlotte Swan
- Peter Gerety as Defense Attorney Charles Powell
- Murphy Guyer as Mr. Weber
- Jeff Brooks as Victor Colby
- Thomas Bellin as Joe Wells
- Paul D'Amato as Art Lydell
- Kevin Eldon as Dan Hayala
- Neal Huff as Dennis Trope
- Mike Jefferson as Gilbert N'goueba
- Robert Jimenez as Rene Benitez
- Robin Weigert as Denise Luca
- Kirby Mitchell as Wounded Man
- David S. Jung as ER Doctor
- Rita Gardner as Second Appellate Judge
- Traber Burns as Outraged Father
- George Bartenieff as Presiding Judge Eric Goodloe
- Ray Garvey as CPW Policeman #1
- Douglas McInnis as Cop
- Scott Nicholson as 1st Policeman
- Dawn Young as Crying Woman
- Jack McCoy: When the Red Coats stormed over Bunker Hill maybe.
- Abbie Carmichael: What about a 6'5 man breaking in my door?
- Anita Van Buren: By the way, did you happen to read the news this morning? It's basically a rehash of departmental statements, but the funny thing is, the only name mentioned is yours, Detective Green.
- Ed Green: Maybe because it was easier to spell.
- ""Never trust anything that bleeds for five days and lives.""
- – Lennie Briscoe reading Dennis Trope's T-shirt
- Ed Green: Hey, Old Spice, what did the L-T say about me?
- Lennie Briscoe: Nothing. Did she tell you I don't like nicknames?
Background information and notes
- Jesse L. Martin joins the cast as Detective Ed Green.
- This episode was probably based on the shooting at the University of Montreal's Ecole Polytechnic campus. The shooter in that case was Marc Lépine, who shot 14 female engineering students because he blamed them for his inability to get in to the college.
Episode scene cards
J&P Sport Guns
Westside Community Park
| Previous episode:|
Law & Order
| Next episode:|