|←||CI, Episode 3.09||→|
|Production number: E4508|
First aired: 23 November 2003
| Teleplay By|
Marlane Gomard Meyer
Marlane Gomard Meyer & René Balcer
The investigation is focused in a family list of suspects which includes the victim's soon-to-be ex-wife, the nanny who cared for the couple's adopted Romanian sons, as well the suspicious aunt and uncle of the children.
After Goren goes deeper into the family's past, his only hope of sorting out the clutter of possible killers is to call for a family reunion which takes place in a court room. Eventually he figures out that the older son, Jason was the killer. The mother, who tries to confess as she's dying of terminal cancer, frightened her children about what would happen if the father got custody in the divorce: that he would send them back to the orphanage which was basically hell for anyone living there. Jason finally confesses that he did it out of fear and that all his father did as he killed him was ask why and Jason never answered him. Jason's horrified by his actions and is arrested for the murder of his father. Goren, Bishop and Carver all hope that whoever is given custody of Sam when the mother dies does a better job of it.
Main cast Edit
- Vincent D'Onofrio as Detective Robert Goren
- Kathryn Erbe as Detective Alexandra Eames
- Jamey Sheridan as Captain James Deakins
- Courtney B. Vance as A.D.A. Ron Carver
Guest cast Edit
- Angelica Page as Paula Connors
- Anna Katarina as Helen Reynolds
- Reiley McClendon as Jason Connors
- Samantha Buck as Detective G. Lynn Bishop
- Mark Hildreth as Ralph Friedman
- Camilla Scott as Brenda Friedman
- Zach Galligan as Eddie Malloy
- Chris J. Kelly as Sam Connors
- Michael McCauley as Detective Lawson
- Wendy Barrie-Wilson as Mrs. Sinclair
- Stephanie Sanditz as Josie Martin
- Elizabeth West as Hester Laddimore
- Dennis Rees as Russell Connors (victim)
- Michael K. Weiss as Larry Rothman
- Julie Fain Lawrence as Ms. Blake
- Denise Cormier as Elizabeth
- Bobby Daye as Stanley
- John Cariani as Frank
- Bryant Fraser as a Dry Cleaning Clerk
- Joe Wissler as a Concert Patron (uncredited)
- G. Lynn Bishop: What you said was he late and you weren't sure where...
- Paula Connors: That's not true. I called him at his job. His partner said that he was on his way. And then he arrived. It's no mystery.
- Robert Goren: Well, the mystery is that, uh, the reception in the recital hall cleared up because a moment ago, you said it was like a tomb.
- Paula Connors: My sons will be home for lunch soon. It would be so nice if you weren't here.
- Forensics Technician: They were in a dumpster off 65th. Uh, blood belongs to the victim. No fingerprints on the hockey stick. Shirt's chambray, size large.
- Alexandra Eames: Well, that fits Eddie Malloy.
- James Deakins: Fits me, too.
- Alexandra Eames: Yeah, but you're not dating a widow with $40 million.
- Eddie Malloy: I don't mess with collectibles. Check my rap sheet. Strictly TVs and toasters.
- G. Lynn Bishop: But you knew about the Connors' stamp collection.
- Eddie Malloy: I know they keep money in banks, but I don't break in and take it.
- G. Lynn Bishop: Well, that's admirable. You were late to the recital.
- "She pooched your alibi."
- – Robert Goren to Eddie Malloy
- Dr. Friedman: I...I was just making conversation. I don't know anything about her condition.
- Robert Goren: Lucky for us, Dr. Friedman, you're a-a terrible liar.
- "Well, Solomon threatened to split the child. This time, maybe we should let the child decide. We should go find a pair of gray flannel pants."
- – Robert Goren
- Ron Carver: From a Romanian orphanage to an American divorce. I hope New York State will prove a better guardian for these children.
- Robert Goren: Well, from your lips to God's ear.
Background information and notes Edit
- This episode seems to be one of three L&O franchise episodes (the other two being "Hitman" and "Mammon", both from Law & Order, seasons 13 and 15, respectively) based on the Ted Ammon case. (Ted Ammon at Wikipedia)
Episode scene cardsEdit
Fiesta Wigs Galore
Secure Key Company
County Clerk's Office
Criminal Courts Building
| Previous episode:|
| "Happy Family"|
Law & Order: Criminal Intent
| Next episode:|