|←||SVU, Episode 9.05||→|
|Production number: 9002|
First aired: 23 October 2007
| Written By|
The apparent rape and murder of a professor leads the Special Victims Unit into a world of private contractors and a doctor known for advocating torture against suspected terrorists.
Benson and Stabler investigate the connection between the New York murder of college counselor Kate Simes and her volunteer work at a refugee center working with soldiers tortured in Iraq. Her killer escapes to another country, but the person who helped him with the torture methods, Doctor Faith Sutton, is charged with criminally negligent homicide as his torture led to his death by heart attack after he was tortured again. During the trial, a juror has a heart attack, but Sutton and Warner manage to save him but as a result, a mistrial is declared. Sutton's lawyer reveals that the jury was irrevocably split and a mistrial would've been declared anyway so a new trial isn't set, but Warner contacts the ethics board to see about revoking Sutton's license. Ultimately, she gets a temporary suspension, but says that even that could ruin her career and shows no remorse for her actions, but Warner's speech to her about the Hippocratic Oath seems to leave her considering her actions.
Main cast Edit
- Christopher Meloni as Detective Elliot Stabler
- Mariska Hargitay as Detective Olivia Benson
- Richard Belzer as Sergeant John Munch
- Diane Neal as A.D.A. Casey Novak
- Ice-T as Detective Odafin Tutuola
- Adam Beach as Detective Chester Lake
- B.D. Wong as Dr. George Huang
- Tamara Tunie as Dr. Melinda Warner
- Dann Florek as Captain Donald Cragen
Recurring cast Edit
Guest cast Edit
- Elizabeth McGovern as Dr. Faith Sutton
- Jennifer Van Dyck as Dr. Kelly Alvin
- Marjan Neshat as Hagir Abbas
- Jarreth J. Merz as Haroun Abbas
- Libya Pugh as Women's Refugee Coalition Center Director
- Elaine Bromka as Arlene Simes
- Liz Morton as Kate Simes
- Leon Addison Brown as Clifton Mitchell
- Patrick Page as Jack Rexton
- Lou Martini Jr. as Robert Soloman
- Karen Shallo as Paula Deeks
- Jules Hartley as Jackie Solomon
- Eddie Furs as Manny Jaworski
- Kevin Cutts as Officer Louie Velchik
- Elena Araoz as Arabic Woman
- Jann Ellis as Board Member #1
- Ron Kidd as Board Member #2
- Ralph Lucarelli as Diner Owner #1
- Igor Zhivotovsky as Diner Owner #2
- Kapil Bawa as Diner Owner #3
- Isha Sumner as Torture Victim #1
- Dito Sudito as Torture Victim #2
- Oberon Ka Adjipong as Torture Victim #3
- Marcelo Cabrera as Torture Victim #4
- Potri Ranka Manis as Torture Victim #5
- Nazanin Homa as Torture Victim #6
- Hany Kamal as Torture Victim #7
- Brenda McCullough as Juror
- Steve Hurwitz as Heart Attack Juror
- Rick Johnson as Court Clerk
- Igor Cherkassky as NYPD Cop (uncredited)
Enhanced Interrogation Techniques; Helios Defense Industries; Women's Refugee Coalition; Istanbul; Diyurbakir, Turkey; Mosul, Iraq; Abdul Murad; Manny's Diner, Morningside Heights; Heller School; Mercy General Hospital; St. Bernadette's Hospital; Honduras; Indonesia; Elizabeth Roth
- Melinda Warner: So much for 2500 years of "First do no harm".
- George Huang: That's a little black-and-white.
- Melinda Warner: I didn't realize the Hippocratic oath was written in shades of grey.
- Faith Sutton: Our country is at war. I have skills that can help. Do you really expect me not to use them?
- Melinda Warner: You took an oath. You don't get to take a time-out because we're at war. That oath was written for times like these.
- Elliot Stabler: Security cameras across the globe, Munch'll never leave his house again.
Background information and notes Edit
- Helios is probably based on the private contractor Xe (better known as Blackwater.)
Episode scene cards Edit
Trial Part 22
New York State
| Previous episode:|
Law & Order: Special Victims Unit
| Next episode:|