|Affiliation||NYPD; formerly USAF|
|Division||Special Victims Unit|
|Family|| Unnamed daughter
Unnamed husband Unnamed sister
Dr. Melinda Warner is a medical examiner in the New York City Police Department. After working as a doctor in the United States Air Force to pay for medical school and serving two tours during the Gulf War, Warner left the military to take care of her daughter, and became an Assistant Medical Examiner for the NYPD. ("Blast") In 2000, having reached the rank of Medical Examiner, she was assigned to the 16th Precinct to replace Dr. Elizabeth Rodgers who had begun to work for Major Case in addition to Homicide. These two units took up most of her time, and she had to discontinue service to Special Victims. ("Noncompliance")
She was shot by Sophie Gerard, a troubled and grieving mother, during a standoff inside the morgue in the episode "Shattered". Neal Baer, producer from the show confirmed on his Twitter account that she survived.  She is later seen back on the job and when Stabler and Benson question her ruling a death as a homicide she says "I was shot in the lung, not the head." Turns out she was right, just not in the way she believed.
- During her time in the Air Force, Warner received training in the use of firearms. ("Blast")
- According to Detective Elliot Stabler, Warner hates cold weather and always sends her assistants to crime scenes on cold days. ("Mean")
- Warner is the only Medical Examiner in the whole of the Law & Order franchise to appear in the opening credits of her series.
- Warner's daughter was born in 1991.
- In "Blast", Warner was personally involved in a case by informing parents that their kidnapped daughter had leukemia. Later on, she shot the perpetrator in the leg, preventing him from committing suicide by cop.
- Dr. Warner is married and has one daughter (Blast, Juvenile),who was mentioned twice on the show. She also had a dog named Petey (Beef). She also mentions having a sister who is a buyer at Saks (Streetwise).
Recurring Season 2-6 Main Cast Season 7-12 her credit is shown in the opening when she doesn't appear in the episode and when she does. Recurring Cast Again Season 13-