- For the city, see New York City.
New York is a state in the Mid-Atlantic and Northeastern regions of the United States. It is bordered by Vermont, Massachusetts, Connecticut, New Jersey, and Pennsylvania, and shares a water border with Rhode Island as well as an international border with the Canadian provinces of Quebec and Ontario. New York was one of the original 13 colonies and most of the northern campaign was the American Revolutionary War was fought in New York along with Massachusetts.
New York was the first of three states to be attacked by al-Qaeda terrorist hijackers on September 11, 2001. The World Trade Center was hit by hijacked airliners, collapsing two hours later, killing over 2,000 Americans. As of 2014, one of the Towers has been rebuilt.
- Bronx County (borough The Bronx)
- Kings County (borough Brooklyn)
- New York County (borough Manhattan)
- Queens County (borough Queens)
- Richmond County (borough Staten Island)
- Westchester County