The New York City Police Department (NYPD) is currently the largest police force in North America, with primary responsibilities in law enforcement and investigation within the five boroughs of New York City. The NYPD is headquartered at the One Police Plaza.
The NYPD has a broad array of specialized services, including:
- Patrol Services Bureau - The Bureau which is responsible for uniformed patrol officers.
- Organized Crime Control Bureau -
- Narcotics Division - A division in which officers investigate organised crime and gang ties to narcotics.
- Vice Enforcement Division (Merged with Narcotics Division in 2011) - A division which deals with organized crime and gang connections to prostitution.
- Auto Crime Division - A Division which deals with gang ties to stolen cars.
- Undercover Gang Units - A unit featuring undercover officers infiltrating gang cultures.
- Firearms Suppression Division -
- Investigative Support Division -
- Organized Crime Investigation Division - A division that investigates ties to Organized Crime.
- Arson Investigation Unit - A Unit which deals with people who maliciously, voluntarily, and willfully set fires to buildings, or other property of another or of burning one's own property for an improper purposes.
- Burglary/Robbery - Investigates robberies involving private homes, home invasions and thefts.
- Cold Case Squad - The squad who investigates old cases.
- Communications Division -
- Crime Scene Unit - The Unit responsible for collecting evidence.
- Fraud Unit - A Unit which deals with fraud.
- Homicide Department - The Department which investigates murders or attempted murders.
- Major Case Squad - A squad that investigates important kidnappings, burglary, larceny, and robberies.
- Missing Persons Squad - The unit responsible for investigating missing people.
- Special Frauds Unit - The unit that deals with major fraud crimes.
- Special Victims Unit - A unit that investigates sex crimes.
- Technical Assistance Response Unit - The Unit provides investigative technical equipment and tactical support to all bureaus within the department. The unit also deals with several forms of computer forensics.
- Traffic Control Division
- Transit Police
- Traffic Division - A department which Deals with hit-and-runs and felony driving.
- Auto-Larceny Unit - The unit which deals with car burglaries and auto thefts.
- Administrative Vice and Narcotics - A department which deals with prostitution, drugs, lewdness, lasciviousness and obscenity.
- Warrants Squad -
Each precinct is responsible for safety and law enforcement within a designated geographic area. Police units based in these precincts patrol and respond to emergencies.
- 16th Precinct (location of the Special Victims Unit)
- 27th Precinct (location of the Homicide Department)
- One Police Plaza (location of the Major Case Squad)