|"Sonata for Solo Organ"|
|←||L&O, Episode 1.21||→|
|Production number: 66226|
First aired: 2 April 1991
| Teleplay By|
Joe Morgenstern & Michael S. Chernuchin
Joe Morgenstern & Michael Duggan
Stone and Robinette prosecute a surgeon and the wealthy father of a transplant patient for illegally obtaining a kidney.
Main cast Edit
Main cast Edit
- George Dzundza as Sergeant Max Greevey
- Chris Noth as Detective Mike Logan
- Dann Florek as Captain Donald Cragen
- Michael Moriarty as Executive A.D.A. Benjamin Stone
- Richard Brooks as A.D.A. Paul Robinette
- Steven Hill as D.A. Adam Schiff
Recurring cast Edit
Guest cast Edit
- Paul Roebling as Dr. James Reberty
- Deborah Hedwall as Ellen Hale
- Dominic Chianese as Dan Rubell
- Bill Moor as Bill Patton
- Chuck Cooper as Drew MacDaniel
- Lonny Price as Dr. Lieber
- Randy Graff as Dr. Martha Kershan
- Fritz Weaver as Philip Woodleigh
- Ralph Byers as Judge Pursely
- Fred J. Scollay as Judge Barsky
- Ann Dowd as Teresa Franz
- Kayla Black as Nurse Davis
- Jennifer Van Dyck as Joanna Woodleigh
- Zach Grenier as Lemish
- Leslie Lyles as Former Mrs. Reberty
- Kevin O'Morrison as Judge Boyark
- Peter McRobbie as Manager
- Roger Robinson as Dr. Ames
- Rose Arrick as Mrs. Birnbaum
- John MacKay as Nevins
- Olga Merediz as Rosaria Mendez
- Brian Burke as Hospital Clerk
- Marcella Lowery as Nurse
- Jonathan Teague Cook as Bum
- Joe Pentangelo as Curran
- Nick Muglia as Schull
- Gareth Williams as Technician
- John Santamaria as Bailiff
"People talk about feeling violated when some punk breaks into their apartment and steals a TV set. I felt raped."
- - Drew McDaniel
"The public must understand that the Organ Transplant Network is the one true democracy. One of the few instances where money doesn’t talk. At all."
- - O.T.N. Executive
"If you prosecute him, he’ll die. I know he will. And for what? Mr. MacDaniel is going to be a very wealthy man."
"With only one kidney."
"Just like I have, Mr. Stone. The hope is we’ll both live long and happy lives."
"Please believe me, I’m glad you’re healthy again. I know how close to death you were. But, Ms. Woodleigh, do you really think your father would have acted any differently, if you had needed a heart instead of a kidney?"
- - Joanna Woodleigh and Benjamin Stone
"It’s easier to bust out of Attica then to leave a hospital without paying."
- - Max Greevey
"Whoa! Talk about getting your pocket picked!"
- - Mike Logan
"Grand theft kidney. Terrific."
- - Donald Cragen
"What's it going to take to make you happy, Stone?"
"The Mets in the Series, peace on Earth, and Dr. Reberty in Dannemora."
- - Reberty's Attorney
Background information and notes Edit
- This episode was inspired by the "Kidney Thief" urban legend. The legend tells the story of someone who wakes up with only one kidney, which was surgically removed for transplantation.
- This episode was later adapted into the Law & Order: UK episode "Sacrifice".
Episode scene cards Edit
Office of the Organ
Elaine Hale's Apartment
Rikers Island Jail
Office of Assistant
| Previous episode:|
| "Sonata for Solo Organ"|
Law & Order
| Next episode:|
"The Blue Wall"