- You may be looking for the article about the the show featuring this unit.
The Special Victims Unit (SVU) is a division within the New York City Police Department.
The Detectives in this division investigate crimes involving sexual assault, the very young, or the very elderly, as well as any crime loosely connected with any of the three. The unit also deals with murder, abduction, robbery and child pornography cases. The unit is housed in several different boroughs.
- Elliot Stabler (Retired)
- Olivia Benson
- Nick Amaro
- Amanda Rollins
- Odafin Tutuola
- Chester Lake (In prison)
- Dani Beck (Returned to the Warrants Squad)
- Monique Jeffries (Resigned, Jefferies was eventually reinstated and transferred to the NYPD's Vice Squad. She would return to help her former colleagues locate the runaway daughter of a fellow police officer)
- Brian Cassidy (Now works in the NYPD's Internal Affairs Bureau)
- Ken Briscoe (Ken later then became a muscian and started smoking pot)
- Sergeant Olivia Benson -Squad Supervisor
- Captain Donald Cragen (Retired in 2014)
- Captain Steven Harris (Interim) -During Cragen suspension
- Sergeant John Munch -Squad Supervisor (Retired in 2013)
- In early episodes the Special Victims Unit was often depicted as the "Sex Crimes division", or "Manhattan SVU".
The real Special Victims UnitEdit
The NYPD does have a real unit that investigates sex crimes which, same as depicted in the show, is housed in separate Borough Patrols, (i.e. Manhattan, Brooklyn, The Bronx & Queens). In addition to the different name, the real Special Victims Squad only investigates the following types of cases:
- Any child under 13 years of age who is the victim of any sex crime or attempted sex crime.
- Any child under 11 years of age who is the victim of abuse by a parent or person legally responsible for the care of the child.
- Any victim of rape (all degrees) or attempted rape (all degrees)
- Any victim of Criminal Sexual Act (all degrees) or Attempted Criminal Sexual Act (all degrees)
- Victims of Aggravated Sexual Abuse (all degrees)
- Victims of Sexual Abuse 1st Degree
The Special Victims Squad does not investigate any murder, robbery or child pornography cases. Murders and robberies are investigated by precinct detective squads. If a sex crime is involved, the Special Victims Squad may assist in the investigation. Child pornography is investigated by the NYPD Vice Enforcement Sexual Exploitation of Children Unit.