Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
|"Sunday in the Park with Jorge"|
|←||L&O, Episode 11.11||→|
|Production number: E1301|
First aired: 24 January 2001
| Written By|
William M. Finkelstein
A couple in a rowboat in Central Park discover the body of a severely beaten woman in a pond during the Puerto Rican Day Parade celebrations. During the celebrations, a riot broke out in the park where many women were accosted. The response of the police is criticized throughout the city, leading to pressure from One Police Plaza and the mayor's office to find the murderer among the rioters. Detectives Lennie Briscoe and Ed Green interview Hispanic men arrested for robbery and sexual assault in the park that day.
The murder victim is the wife of a young billionaire. The detectives soon discover that she had retained the services of a divorce attorney and had planned to make the divorce very costly for her husband. He has an alibi for the day of the murder, having been out with his new girlfriend. The detectives interview her, where they notice that she has bruises on her neck. She explains that she got the bruises from his best friend and his company's vice president, Seth.
After interviewing Seth, the detectives discover that he was heavily invested in the company, and that his stake in the company could vanish if the divorce carried through. He claims to have met the victim in the rowboat at the park to persuade the victim to separate amicably. Because of his financial stake and his violence against the girlfriend, the detectives are not convinced and arrest him. Despite apprehension from the mayor's office, who had wanted to prosecute a member of the mob, D.A. Nora Lewin decides to proceed with the prosecution on circumstantial evidence.
One of the men convicted of assault in the park strikes a deal to reduce his sentence in return for testimony identifying Seth at the park that day. Detective Briscoe tells Jack McCoy that there is an inconsistency in his testimony, and after further pressure he recants: he did see Seth in the boat, but Seth left the scene before she was killed. Follow-up investigation finds a new suspect, Hector Salazar, a Brazilian man at the riot with his friends. Witnesses identify him as the man who harassed the victim then beat her to death in the rowboat.
Salazar is charged with the murder, and effectively admits to killing her on the stand. However, he claims he never intended to kill her, and that his actions were motivated by peer pressure to intimidate the woman, like his friends did to the other women who were attacked. Despite his stated intentions, the jury convicts Salazar of manslaughter.
Main cast Edit
- Jerry Orbach as Detective Lennie Briscoe
- Jesse L. Martin as Detective Ed Green
- S. Epatha Merkerson as Lieutenant Anita Van Buren
- Sam Waterston as Executive A.D.A. Jack McCoy
- Angie Harmon as A.D.A. Abbie Carmichael
- Dianne Wiest as Interim D.A. Nora Lewin
Guest cast Edit
- Victor Anthony as Nestor Salazar
- Vanessa Aspillaga as Miss Guzman
- Paul Austin as Martin Scattergood
- Maggie Baisch as Gretchen Hall
- Glenn Fitzgerald as Seth Teitel
- Mark Kashersky as Kevin Fitzpatrick
- Dan Lauria as Chief Joseph Sturdevant
- Selenis Leyva as DeeDee Salazar
- Ben Weber as Ethan Capp
- Richard V. Licata as Gary Stenopolis
- Gordon MacDonald as Donny Apuzo
- Michael Mulheren as Judge Sheldon Taylor
- Joe Narciso as Bob Simonetti
- Gordana Rashovich as Simone Reuben
- Cecilia Riddett as Winnie Scattergood
- Mark Kenneth Smaltz as Judge William Koehler
- Jose Soto as Kiko Morales
- Jesse Perez as David
- Paul Calderon as Palmieri
- Maurice Carlton as Francois
- Lee Cobb as Sergeant
- Rufus Collins as Ira
- Linda Cook as Paige
- Jack Koenig as Defense Attorney for Seth Teitel
- Yul Vazquez as unknown
Background information and notes Edit
Episode scene cardsEdit
| Previous episode:|
"Whose Monkey is it Anyway?"
| "Sunday in the Park with Jorge"|
Law & Order
| Next episode:|