|←||SVU, Episode 7.14||→|
|Production number: 07014|
First aired: 17 January 2006
| Written By|
Arthur W. Forney
A college co-ed's tale of rape and an unknown pregnancy is suspect after detectives learn that she's been linked to not one but two abandoned newborns.
A girl is running after her dog, when the dog is finally caught, it has afterbirth in its mouth. The girl and some passersby couple trace the afterbirth to the trash where they hear a baby crying. A baby boy is found and taken to the hospital where Benson and Stabler are getting his stats. Evidence leads them to a college student, who claims she was never pregnant. After interrogation, she passes out as she is leaving and is taken to the hospital where Benson finds out she was indeed pregnant and had gotten an infection from leftover traces of the afterbirth in the uterus. However, she claims she never knew that she was pregnant until the day she gave birth. She confessed to Benson that she was raped, but refused to give up the name of the father. After word leaked out to the media that she tossed a baby in the trash, the SVU detectives puts in their resources to figure out the case. Cragen then reveals that she was linked to another case of a child tossed in the trash, leaving them to assume that she lied about the rape, and is instead a serial baby killer. After interviewing other people that she was connected to trying to figure out who the father was, Doctor Warner reveals that her father and the baby's father are the same person. A paternity test later reveals that her abandoned children were the result of an incestuous relationship with her father. In the end, she is acquitted of all charges by reason of mental illness/defect, and her father is permanently barred from having any contact with his son/grandson.
- Christopher Meloni as Detective Elliot Stabler
- Mariska Hargitay as Detective Olivia Benson
- Richard Belzer as Detective John Munch
- Diane Neal as A.D.A. Casey Novak
- Ice-T as Detective Odafin Tutuola
- B.D. Wong as Dr. George Huang
- Tamara Tunie as M.E. Melinda Warner
- Dann Florek as Captain Donald Cragen
- Patricia Kalember as Judge Karen Taten
- Mike Doyle as Forensics Technician Ryan O'Halloran
- Audrie J. Neenan as Judge Lois Preston
- Michael Lerner as Attorney Morty Berger
- Tijuana Ricks as Dr. Marnie Aiken
- Schuyler Fisk as Ella Christiansen
- Annie Golden as Varla
- Alexandra Neil as Mrs. Drake
- Curtis Mark Williams as Jerry Spencer
- Zeljko Ivanek as Everett Drake
- Piter Fattouche as Dr. Palshikar
- Jack Mulcahy as Detective Brian Beal
- Greta Lee as Heather Kim
- Ebbe Bassey as ACS Caseworker
- Curt Hostetter as Joe Shepherd
- Gloria Biegler as Candace Shepherd
- Anthony Bishop as Danny Hayes
- Jennifer Regan as Businesswoman
- Alison Becker as Angel's Owner
- Dale Hensley as Chauffer
- Martin Van Treuren as Professor Lichterman
- Brandon Bales as Vincent Wensel
- Tim Miller as Court Clerk
- Patricia Marie Kelley as Jury Foreperson
- Nick Basta as Reporter #1
- Keisha Alfred as Reporter #2
- Eileen Tepper as Incensed Woman #1
- Mychelle Dangerfield as Incensed Woman #2
- Jane Brockman as Incensed Woman #3
- Doctor: His umbilical cord was clamped off with this, or he'd have bled to death.
- Benson: "Gourmet Coffee."
- Stabler: Well, I guess he interrupted breakfast.
- "Welcome to the world there, tough guy."
- – Stabler holding the baby's hand
- "A fruitcake with baby fever."
- – Tutuola about a homeless woman who believed she was pregnant
- Stabler: You chose to walk six blocks with him. Right past a firehouse! A hospital where, under safe haven laws, you could've just left him anonymously!
- Ella: Why are you yelling at me?
- Stabler: Because you tossed him in the trash, like the garbage you are! All the choices...how is that even an option?
- Cragen: Interrogation 101: Overcoming resistance through compassion.
- Stabler: I can't. Not with this one.
- Benson: It's Saturday.
- Stabler: Holding that kid, she just...threw away.
- Cragen: Kathy still has custody.
- Stabler: It's my weekend and the day's half gone. I'm still here.
- "This nutcase is a serial baby-killer."
- – Cragen
- Munch: What did she say happened to the baby?
- NJ Detective: She disposed of it herself.
- Tutuola: For future reference, that's called Murder Two.
- Taten: As I believe the defendant is not a threat to anyone but her own offspring, the court is requesting that in exchange for a lower bail amount, she does not get pregnant again before the trail.
- Berger: That's unconstitutional!
- Taten: I'm not ordering that she be sterilized, Mr. Berger. But if you do become pregnant again, young lady, you will be found in contempt of this court. And bail will be rescinded.
- Berger: Your Honor has no right to legislate procreation.
- Taten: You think you can manage to comply with that order, Ms. Christiansen?
- Ella: ...I don't know.
- Taten: Bail is set at $2 million. Cash or bond.
- Benson: I'm sorry to be rude, Mrs. Drake. I just got a little upset when I saw your husband working on a third baby to kill. Did you tell your wife that her grandson is also her stepson?
- Mrs. Drake: What?
- Benson: Your husband's been cheating on you. With his own daughter.
- "You're a sick man, Mr. Drake."
- – Benson to Drake
- "Wow. Denial really does run in your family."
- – Benson to Mr. Drake
- "So I think that I understand what you went through growing up. I could never understand my mother's inability to love me. Until after I learned the truth about myself."
- – Benson to Ella
- Benson: I think she had to be crazy, don't you think? She did what Everett told her to do.
- Novak: I don't know. But I bet she'll have the hospital convinced that she's cured in a year or so.
- Benson: Then back to Daddy.
- Drake: I can give him a home. And love. He belongs with his father.
- Novak: But not with his grandfather. Hand the baby to Detective Benson or you will be placed under arrest.
Background information and notes
- Zeljko Ivanek plays a character named Everett Drake in this episode. His first scene is a dialog scene with Fin and John Munch. Zeljko Ivanek previously played ADA Ed Danvers in Homicide: Life on the Street, and interacted regularly with John Munch on that show. Additionally, Ed Danvers crossed over more than once into the original Law & Order series, which is where the Don Cragen character originated. In this episode of SVU, Munch apparently doesn't notice the strong resemblance Drake shares with Ed Danvers.
- This episode appears to be ripped from the headlines of the Holly Ashcraft case.
Episode scene cards
Gourmet Coffee Shop
Trial Part 13
New York State
| Previous episode:|
Law & Order: Special Victims Unit
| Next episode:|