Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
|"The Glory That Was"|
|←||CI, Episode 8.08||→|
|Production number: |
First aired: 14 June 2009
| Written By|
Detectives Nichols and Wheeler, together with Captain Ross, find themselves on the world stage, untangling the politics behind the Olympic Site Selection Committee.
At the top of the show, a wealthy Belgian diplomat, Caroline Walters, is found murdered in Central Park. Nearby, a second body is discovered: a former Secret Service agent hired to protect her. Nichols and Wheeler begin their investigation at the Belgian Consulate, where they meet high-profile security consultant Jack Taylor — who, it turns out, hired the now-dead agent meant to protect Walters.
The detectives turn their attention to threats made against Walters, and soon a DVD surfaces that suggests she was being blackmailed: the DVD contains images of her making love with another woman, Laura Green.
When interrogated, Green claims that she, too, was being blackmailed. But soon, when her story fails to hold up, and after an attempt on her life, Nichols and Wheeler know they have their killer: Green was the blackmailer and someone now wants her dead. The detectives know that someone else is involved.
Nichols, in what will be a signature element of the show, retreats from the case, in order to garner perspective. In this episode, he goes to the Film Forum, in Greenwich Village, to watch Breakfast at Tiffaniy's. It is while watching the film that he finally puts the pieces together.
In the aria of the show, Nichols interrogates Taylor, who has branch offices throughout the world. Pulling on the strings that hold the tightly wound Taylor together, Nichols leads Taylor directly into a noose of self-incrimination. Taylor expected to win a security contract in Rio de Janeiro. Walters, it turns out, was the vote he needed on the Olympic Site Selection Committee that would throw the Olympics to Rio.
Main cast Edit
- Jeff Goldblum as Detective Zach Nichols
- Julianne Nicholson as Detective Megan Wheeler
- Eric Bogosian as Captain Danny Ross
- Ritchie Coster as Jack Taylor
- Jess Weixler as Ellen Green
- Pedro Pascal as Kevin Green
- Stephanie Szostak as Caroline Walters
- James Waterston as Paul Walters
- --- as Jamie Riggs
- Helen Greenberg as Caroline's Assistant
- Robert LuPone as Paul's Lawyer
- Jeremy Fernandez as Walters' Son
- Brian Scott Jackson as Horse Trainer
- Gerrit Vandermeer as Attorney Morrison
- Kevin Cutts as Gerrigan
Twin Lakes; Olympic Site Selection Commitee; Excelsior Stationary; Cardinal International; Morocco; Belgium; Mexico; Iberia; Black Hand; Austria; Tokyo, Japan; Rio de Janeiro, Brazil; Chicago, Illinois; Madrid, Spain; Colin Ledger
- Zach Nichols: So Laura was arrested as a call girl... You know that 90% of all prostitutes were sexually abused as children?
- Megan Wheeler: What does that have to do with this?
- Zach Nichols: Nothing... yet.
Background information and notes Edit
- In the opening scenes, Wheeler is being interviewed about her ex-fiancee's activities, for which he was arrested in the episode "Last Rites".
- Rio de Janeiro did end up winning the bid for the 2016 Olympics.
- This episode is not included on the Season 8 DVD Set for "content reasons".
| Previous episode:|
"Folie à Deux"
| "The Glory That Was"|
Law & Order: Criminal Intent
| Next episode:|